Steve Blank Answers Your Questions
BY William Griggs ON Mar 14, 2012
If you are currently running a startup or thinking about launching one and want to increase your chances of success, this is the interview for you!
Today I am talking with Steve Blank. Steve is a super-successful author, angel investor, professor, and serial entrepreneur having founded eight companies.
On this episode, Steve is going to answer viewer submitted questions and share with you the crucial lessons he’s learned, in an effort to equip you with the knowledge you need to be successful.
1. Let’s go back to the basics… Jason from Kansas said, there are tons of entrepreneurial resources out now (books, websites, podcasts), and he wants to launch his own startup (already has the idea), but he wonders what to do next. Can you simplify the process for him?
2. Kyle in DC asked, “Is there one mistake you see entrepreneurs continue to repeat? If so, what is it and what would you recommend they do differently?”
3. Jared from Florida said, that people keep telling him to read “4 Steps to the Epiphany”, “Lean Startup” and “Business Model Generation”. He has all three books, but doesn’t know where to begin. Can how him how they are all connected and how he should go about reading them?
4. Andrew from Nashville wants to know if you have any tips for startups that are brand new and are pursuing a b2b market, specifically how do they get the attention of larger customers and partners?
5. “I want to be an entrepreneur, should I pursue an MBA? If yes, how do I get into Stanford’s or Berkley’s graduate school of business?
Steve’s Book “Four Steps to the Ephiphany”
Steve’s Book “The Startup Owner’s Manual”
Steve’s Books For Startups
Steve’s Tools For Startups
Steve’s Presentations On Slideshare
Om Malik Interviewing Steve Blank
Steve Blank has had a 33-year career as a successful businessman, conservationist and teacher. As a Silicon Valley entrepreneur, Steve was part of/or founded eight venture-backed companies. Four of his eight startup companies went public. After he retired, he started new careers in conservation, public service, and teaching.
After retiring, Steve moved from being an entrepreneur to teaching entrepreneurship to both undergraduate and graduate students at U.C. Berkeley, Stanford University and the Columbia University/Berkeley Joint Executive MBA program. Steve wrote a book (actually his class text) about building early stage companies: Four Steps to the Epiphany. The Customer Development model that he developed in his book is one of the core themes for these classes.
Connect With Steve
Free Course: "Become a Better Founder in 10 Days" + Secret Bonus
(Valued at $98)
This amazing course will help you launch a tech startup as a non-technical founder over the next 10 days.
100% privacy guaranteed. I'll never share your email.
About William Griggs
William Griggs is a product and customer acquisition strategist who has helped numerous startups including companies backed by Andreessen Horowitz, FLOODGATE, & 500 Startups. In addition to his consulting work, he has written for Mashable, VentureBeat, & ReadWrite. You can check out his podcast on iTunes (The Startup Slingshot TV) or follow him on Twitter @william_griggs for Tweets chock-full of delicious knowledge nuggets.
In addition to everything tech startups, William loves breakfast tacos, dogs, short emails, and Amazon Prime. He currently resides in Austin, Texas with his beautiful wife Elizabeth.